Summary of Service 1941-1972


HMS Tyne was laid down on 15 July 1938 as a Destroyer Depot Ship. Launched at the Greenock yard of Scotts Shipbuilding Company on 28 February 1940, she was completed exactly a year later, four months later than the stipulated contract date.

Arriving at Scapa Flow on 3 March 1941, the Tyne became the flagship of Rear Admiral (Destroyers), Home Fleet. She remained as flagship until 18 August 1944, when she left Scapa for her first refit since commissioning; previously, she had undergone short docking periods at Sheerness and then on the Clyde. The six-week refit on the Clyde included the installation of equipment required for service in the Far East and also further improvement to her armament.

After a work-up at Scapa, HMS Tyne sailed for Ceylon in mid-November 1944 and arrived at Trincomalee on 11 December to join the Fleet Train, as the flagship of Rear Admiral (D), British Pacific Fleet. The BPF left Ceylon in late January 1945 and after a brief stop at Sydney, the Tyne proceeded to the Fleet's advanced base at Manus, Admiralty Islands. The main body of the Fleet was in action off the Sakishima Gunto from 26 March until 25 May 1945, with a short break at San Pedro Bay, Leyte, at the end of April. HMS Tyne arrived at San Pedro Bay at the beginning of April and remained until 24 May, supporting the 18 destroyers and seven sloops and frigates with the Fleet and Fleet Train.

The Tyne returned to Sydney, via Manus, to replenish her stocks of spares and to prepare for service at a new advanced base, closer to Japan itself, at Eniwetok, where the US Navy had agreed to make facilities available for the establishment of a British anchorage for replenishment of Fleet oilier. HMS Tyne arrived at Eniwetok in July 1945 to act as a headquarters and repair ship for the oilier groups and their escorts and also to act as a communications link between the Fleet and Manus, which remained the Fleet Train base. The Tyne left Eniwetok on 8 August, when the last of the tanker groups returned to the operational area off Japan, and preceded to Manus, where she was when the War ended. She remained with the British Pacific Fleet until 8 August 1946, when she left Sydney for the United Kingdom, arriving at Devonport on 16 September. Thereafter, she was placed in reserve at Harwich.

HMS Tyne returned to Devonport to begin a refit on 28 February 1949 and she returned to service on 26 October 1950, joining the Mediterranean Fleet as the flagship of Flag Officer, Flotillas, serving as a Harbour Depot ship until February 1953.

She left Malta on 19 February and proceeded to Japan, where she arrived at Sasebo on 7 April to relieve HMS Ladybird as the flagship of the Flag Officer, Second in Command, Far East Fleet, the naval commander of the United Nations forces operating in the Yellow Sea off the west coast of Korea. The Tyne proceeded to the operational area as soon as the signature of an armistice appeared to be imminent and remained off the island of Pengyong Do, off the Taedong Estuary, for ten days from 14 June, controlling the evacuation of refugees from the UN-held islands north of the probable cease-fire line. The armistice was finally signed on 27 July, and the TYNE, which was already on passage to Pengyong Do, proceeded to Choda island where she again controlled the evacuation of refugees, returning to Sasebo on 6 August 1953.
HMS Tyne remained at Sasebo until 3 December 1953, when she withdrew to Hong Kong.

In early March 1954, she underwent a maintenance period at Singapore, prior to sailing for the United Kingdom. Arriving at Devonport on 14 May, she was refitted and converted for use as the flagship of the Commander-in-Chief, Home Fleet, who flew his flag in the ship until August 1956, when she was attached to the Mediterranean Fleet as the flagship of the Flag Officer, Second in Command. She returned to Portsmouth in January 1957, was refitted and re-commissioned as the Home Fleet flagship in mid-April 1958, serving also as the depot ship for the Second Submarine Squadron. In January 1960, CinC Home Fleet moved his flag but the Captain, SM2, remained until April; Flag Officer, Flotillas, Home Fleet raised his flag in the Tyne in July 1960, when she completed her final refit.

The Tyne finally paid off on 27 March 1961, at Portsmouth, where she was placed in "Operational Reserve" and employed as a harbour accommodation ship. In July 1964, she was placed on the Disposal List and was eventually sold for scrapping on 11 August 1972.

The following numbers of ships took part in the naval Korean conflict. 39 RN ships including 4 aircraft carriers, 6 cruisers and 17 RFA’s. Ten RAN ships including 1 aircraft carrier, 8 RCN destroyers and 6 RNZN frigates.  About 17,000 officers and men of the RN, RM and RFA services served in Korean waters and a further 4300 in Japan.  165 were decorated and 289 were mentioned in despatches.  RN AND RM casualties were 74 killed, 10 missing, 85 wounded and 28 POW.